In the third episode of our series of NBI staff discussing papers presented at the 2022 ACEEE Summer Study, we talk with Senior Project Manager, Amruta Khanolkar, about the role of building codes in the market transformation of the heat pump water heater market.
Amruta co-authored the paper Carrots and Sticks in Hot Water: Role of Codes and Policy in Market Transformation, which gives an overview of the key policy drivers that could help make heat pump water heaters the norm in the U.S.
Read the full paper
The paper was co-authored by:
Smita Gupta, Director of Building Innovation, New Buildings Institute
Jim Edelson, Director of Policy, New Buildings Institute
Kim Cheslak, Director of Codes, New Buildings Institute
Amruta Khanolkar, Senior Project Manager, New Buildings Institute
Topics Mentioned in this Podcast:
- Advanced Water Heating Initiative (AWHI)
- Success of SB1, Million Solar Roofs Initiative
- Inflation Reduction Act Tax Credits for Heat Pump Water Heaters
- California Air Resources Board (CARB) zero emissions standard for space and water heaters
- Joining the Advanced Water Heating Initiative
For more information, please visit:
- Related blogs from NBI
- New Study Explores Potential of 120-volt Heat Pump Water Heaters
- First-Ever Heat Pump Water Heater Day Spotlights Climate-Friendly Products
- Scaling Up Market Transformation for Heat Pump Water Heaters
- U.S. DOE Announces Support for National Program on Advanced Water Heating to Cut Carbon Emissions and Energy Use
- NBI Report with ACEEE: Increasing Sustainability of Multifamily Buildings with Heat Pump Water Heaters
- AWHI Progress Report: Creating a National Advanced Water Heater Movement
- Department of Energy Heat Pump Water Heater page
Interested in learning more about building decarbonization efforts? Find more NBI podcasts here.