Zero Net Energy Communications Toolkit
Online Tool / December 19, 2015 / Zero Net Energy
These toolkit items were developed by New Buildings Institute and Resource Media with the generous support of foundation funding to advance zero energy building goals in California. These resources represent the foundational pieces of the ZNE Communications Toolkit; however additional materials may be developed later as needed.
These materials have been developed to:
- Help address commonly asked questions about ZNE
- Provide messaging for consistent communications around this ultra-efficiency goal, and
- Support advocates in advancing the Path to Zero Campaign for achieving the state of California’s goals for achieving ZNE
You can also access the ZNE Action Bulletin, a regular newsletter on zero net energy.
Links to ZNE Communications Toolkit Materials
- ZNE Messaging Platform—Provides strong, overarching core messages and supplemental supporting message targeting key audiences.
- ZNE Presentation Template—A basic slide deck introducing the core messages and activities in California.
- ZNE Companion Guide—Provides an overview of the ZNE Communications Toolkit and contains the complete set of factsheets.
- ZNE Action Paths for Jurisdictions—The Action Paths described here present the most effective options for cities and states to systematically plan and make progress toward comprehensive ZNE policy.
Factsheets provide broad information about ZNE and audience-specific content including:
- ZNE Frequently Asked Questions—Answers to the top questions about ZNE.
- A Guide to Zero Net Energy Terminology in California—Learn the terms and definitions related to ZNE in California
- Resources for More Information—Books, studies, case studies and website that offer details.
- ZNE Design Fundamentals—The basics on the integrated process and technology application for ZNE design.
- ZNE for Architecture & Engineering—Why architects and engineers should be focused on building capability to design for ZNE in the future.
- ZNE for Developers & Real Estate Professionals—ZNE buildings provide compelling selling points.
- ZNE for Homeowners & Homebuyers—With more options now available ZNE homes can reduce emissions while lowering operational costs and providing greater peace of mind.
- ZNE for Lenders, Appraisers & Investors—Understanding ZNE can provide opportunity in this increasingly profitable sector of the real estate market.
- ZNE for Building Owners & Operators—The value of ZNE building to owners and needs for operators.
- ZNE for Policymakers & Local Governments—Reasons for local governments to pursue ZNE policies and lead by example with public buildings.
- ZNE Schools—Create healthier learning environments while committing to mitigate climate impacts and serve as local examples of the feasibility of ZNE performance.
How to use this toolkit
Many of these tools can stand alone, be shared as a complete set, or utilized as selected pieces of interrelated content. The toolkit includes a message platform, a sample ZNE presentation, and a series of both general and audience-specific fact sheets. These resources can be used to help accelerate market adoption by providing consistent media messaging, educating key audiences about the fundamentals of ZNE, and providing evidence that ZNE is achievable and makes sense today for business, schools and public buildings.
We hope you’ll agree that these pieces serve as a great starting point for communicating about ZNE buildings in California and elsewhere. Please be sure to send your feedback and any questions to Webly Bowles, Project Manager, at [email protected].
Help Us Share ZNE in California
This ZNE Communications Toolkit is available to share lessons learned from early adopter owners, address commonly asked questions about ZNE, and support advancing communications around California’s goals. We need your help as an early adopter and advocate to share information about California’s goals, the benefits of ZNE and the growing momentum for these exemplary buildings.