2012 IECC Development
In 2010, energy code officials from around the country adopted a new energy model code that represented the largest single-step increase in efficiency in the history of the International Energy Conservation Code (IECC). NBI worked with AIA, U.S. DOE and other industry partners to offer proposals that improved the 2012 IECC by 20% to 30% including comprehensive changes to Chapter 7 of the IECC based largely on NBI’s Core Performance Guide. Core Performance describes a direct and prescriptive path to high performance building that is practical, achievable and affordable.
The following information was developed by NBI and our partners to explain the proposals that would result in comprehensive changes to the 2012 IECC.
- The Case for Better Energy Codes--Factsheet
- Economics of 2012 IECC Commercial Energy Code Proposals--Factsheet
- Frequently Asked Questions about EC 147--Factsheet
- Recording with PowerPoint and Audio (on Vimeo) describing the changes to EC 147 and other proposals--Webinar
- PowerPoint only of webinar presentation (PDF)--Presentation
2012 IECC Development Hearings
Many of the changes to the 2012 IECC were approved at the preliminary Development Hearings Baltimore, Maryland, in November, 2009. These are the original proposals that were approved at the Development Hearings.
- Synopsis of EC 147 – Summary of the proposed changes
- Modeling Results – Summary of the EC 147 modeling results
- 2012 IECC Comprehensive Proposal (EC147)* – Chapter 5 Revisions (NBI/AIA/DOE)
- Opaque Envelope Proposal (EC157)*– Opaque Envelope Tables (NBI/AIA)
- Fenestration Proposal (EC165)* - Fenestration Tables (NBI/AIA)
2012 IECC Final Action Hearings
After a thorough public stakeholder process, proponents submitted multiple comments on July 1, 2010. The following are the comments submitted and largely approved for the 2012 IECC at the Final Action Hearings in October 2010 in Charlotte, North Carolina:
- Voting Roadmap to EC 147 – Summary of NBI & AIA’s recommendations for voting code officials at the Final Action Hearings
- Public Comment Form-147 on Cool Roofs
- Public Comment Form-147 on Commissioning
- Public Comment Form-147 on Building Envelope
- Public Comment Form-147 on Lighting
- Public Comment Form147 on Mechanical
- Public Comment Form-147 on Section 506
- Public Comment Form -157 on Opaque Envelope
- Public Comment Form-165 on Fenestration
- Public Comment Form-176 on area weighted Solar Heat Gain Coefficients (SHGC)
- Public Comment Form-179 on Lighting Control specifications
- Public Comment Form-188 on Commissioning
Obtaining the 2012 IECC
The 2012 IECC was published in July 2011 and is available as a download or hard copy.